The course includes the basics of stem cell technology in regenerative medicine, including assessment of sources, appropriate selection of applications, and relevant regulatory requirements.
CME/CPD Points: 1
CME being processed
Video length: 60 minutes
Intended audience type: MD/PhD/scientists/ journalists, some under-grad post-grad students with an interest in Regenerative Medicine
Required prior knowledge: Basic stem cell knowledge
Required previous courses/lessons: None
Details of any references to relevant codes of practice, standards, or regulations: Compliant with all relevant international codes of practice especially FDA and HTA
Details of alignment to any specific professional body or regulator requirements: HCPC and HTA in the UK
1. To understand the basics of stem cell technology in regenerative medicine.
2. To critically assess each source of stem cells in regenerative medicine.
3. To formulate the appropriate selection of stem cell applications in regenerative medicine.
4. To be aware of the relevant regulatory requirements in regenerative medicine.
5. To have a critical understanding of stem cell technology and the current and future state of the art.
Peter trained at Cambridge University under the supervision of the co-inventor of IVF and Nobel Laureate Professor Sir Bob Edwards FRS. His PhD was in stem cell technology with a focus on the transplantation of stem cells from the developing mouse fetus. His post-doctoral position was as a Senior Embryologist at Bourn Hall Clinic which was the first IVF clinic in the world.
Peter has been the Scientific Director of Cells for Life in Toronto and Smart Cells in the UK and was HTA Designated Individual for Smart Cells. He has carried out research in stem cell technology and has written numerous papers and book chapters on stem cell technology. He has been an invited speaker to many international conferences including personal invitations to speak twice at the Vatican, the UK House of Lords and The Canadian Parliament. Peter also has experience in creating new stem cell technology GMP laboratories and the related accreditation and regulatory aspects of stem cell laboratories.
Peter was the Group Chief Scientific Officer of the worldwide stem cell services company WideCells Group PLC and currently works as a Freelance Consultant Clinical Scientist. Peter has written a book on stem cell technology for the general public called ‘The Regeneration Promise’ which was published in the Autumn of 2020. Peter was awarded a Visiting Chair in Regenerative Medicine from Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine in November 2017. This was in recognition of his services to stem cell technology and regenerative medicine.
Instructions for Participation and CME/CPD Points
Follow these steps to earn CME/CPD points:
- Watch, study, and learn from the online pre-recorded lecture.
- Answers the questions in the online quiz based on the course’s learning outcomes. You will need a pass of 80% or higher to achieve your CME/CPD point.
- Complete the online Evaluation Form.
- View, download, and print your CPD Standards Office certificate from your Learner Profile. Please keep this certificate for your records.
- Please refer to your country’s guidelines on how you need to record and apply your credits towards your country’s medical license requirements.